1. Never wander alone; always travel with a companion or a porter/guide.
2. Always bring along warm clothing and rain gear.
3. You should always have a first aid kit with you.
4. Always have adequate water and snacks with you, and be aware of water refill and restock times.
5. Always keep a torch (along with extra batteries) with you.
6. In order to avoid getting sick, practising good personal hygiene is essential. Always wash your hands after using the restroom and before consuming food (in the absence of water and soap, use an antiseptic gel).
7. Try to learn as much as you can about the weather forecast.
8. During your walks in the Himalayas, you will frequently come across (caravans of) mules or yaks. Stay on the mountainside while you wait for them to pass and avoid getting too close to them.